Wednesday, February 02, 2005

YARN GIRLS KNITTING BOOKS

For years I've been avoiding knitting--although I know how to knit--because it was boring and kept putting me to sleep. I especially didn't like to do anything requiring teeny-tiny needles. However, I do like the look and feel of knits and have not been averse, in the past, to making baby sweaters and hats. This year, though, our Youth Department purchased an inspiring new book,
THE YARN GIRLS' GUIDE TO KID KNITS
by Julie Carles and Jordana Jacobs (PC 746.43 CAR). These two young New Yorkers own a yarn shop in Manhattan (called The Yarn Company) where they teach knitting, especially to nervous Newbies. They have developed some quick-to-knit (on BIG needles with beautiful yarns) yet stylish patterns to fit newborns to 3 year olds. I was particularly drawn to the darling hats and actually made three of them in only a few days for three of my grandchildren (one I knit entirely during a six-hour+ drive to Iowa). I used the Intarsia Jester Hat pattern and learned two new techniques as well: intarsia and making I-cords. I hope to make a few of the sweaters now, as well. What's nice is the patterns are not intimidating and are quick to do. Only know how to do the knit stitch? there's a sweater here for you. Don't want to fuss with ribbing? there are patterns with rolled edges and simple necklines for you. Don't know how to knit at all? there are good, clear basic instructions. Check it out.

They also have a book with patterns for adults, THE YARN GIRLS' GUIDE TO SIMPLE KNITS(746.43 CAR). This one is actually their first and has an extensive instructional section. Patterns include scarves, hats, ponchos, throws, shells, and men's sweaters.

Besides some of the projects shown on the Yarn Company web site, there are some personal web sites/blogs that show finished projects from the books (though you may have to scroll to find them):
Poncho
Cheryl's Tank Tops
Feeling Fuzzy Hat
Koigu hats
Waikiki Tank Top
Mom's Waikiki Tank Top
2 Baby Sweaters
Tank Top

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home